A Center in Name only Alvarez, Michelle E 12 Mar 2012 20:09 EST

I heard an idea at a recent conference that I wanted to see if I could get feedback on related to the development of Centers (e.g., Center for Rural Social Work). The idea was that faculty interested in starting a Center could request to do so without any monetary commitment from the university. So if I wanted to start a Center I could fill out a request to my university and they would grant permission for me to use the name Center for Rural Social Work but not promise me any funding. The idea is that this would put me, a faculty member, in a better position to apply for funding to support the Center because I have the name already attached to it. Then even if the Center fails, the university has not lost any funds and if it succeeds then I could apply for both internal and external funding. What do you think of this idea?

Michelle Alvarez, MSW, EdD, LICSW, C-SSWS
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Interim Director, Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (RASP)
325 Wigley Administration Center
Mankato, MN 56001
Phone (507)389-6652
Fax (507)389-5459

President, School Social Work Association of America (SSWAA)
Editor in Chief, Children & Schools

<image001.jpg>

The mission of the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (RASP) is to promote learning through encouraging and assisting faculty and staff in their pursuit of external funding for research, scholarship, service and creative endeavors.

======================================================================
 Instructions on how to use the RESADM-L Mailing List, including
 subscription information and a web-searchable archive, are available
 via our web site at http://www.healthresearch.org (click on the
 "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)

 A link directly to helpful tips:  http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help
======================================================================