A Center in Name only Alvarez, Michelle E (12 Mar 2012 20:09 EST)
Re: A Center in Name only Charles Hathaway (12 Mar 2012 20:53 EST)
Re: A Center in Name only Carolyn Elliott-Farino (12 Mar 2012 22:35 EST)
Re: A Center in Name only Alvarez, Michelle E (13 Mar 2012 05:13 EST)
Re: A Center in Name only Theresa Defino (13 Mar 2012 06:04 EST)
Re: A Center in Name only Gray, Madison (13 Mar 2012 11:45 EST)
Re: A Center in Name only Hearns, Rene (13 Mar 2012 14:01 EST)
Re: A Center in Name only Aull, Robert Matthew (13 Mar 2012 15:47 EST)
Re: A Center in Name only Charles Hathaway (13 Mar 2012 16:33 EST)
Re: A Center in Name only Wayne Glass (14 Mar 2012 06:12 EST)
Re: A Center in Name only Mike McCallister (14 Mar 2012 08:05 EST)
Re: A Center in Name only Theresa Defino (14 Mar 2012 09:02 EST)
Re: A Center in Name only Charles Hathaway (14 Mar 2012 09:02 EST)
Re: A Center in Name only Ralph Norton (13 Mar 2012 15:15 EST)
Re: A Center in Name only Ralph Norton (13 Mar 2012 11:48 EST)
Re: A Center in Name only Paul Tuttle (14 Mar 2012 10:17 EST)
Re: A Center in Name only Alvarez, Michelle E (14 Mar 2012 11:59 EST)

Re: A Center in Name only Charles Hathaway 12 Mar 2012 20:53 EST

If 3000 of us now know this ploy, chances are that funding agencies and their reviewers will not fall for it.

CH
From: Research Administration List [xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org] on behalf of Alvarez, Michelle E [xxxxxx@MNSU.EDU]
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2012 9:09 PM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] A Center in Name only

I heard an idea at a recent conference that I wanted to see if I could get feedback on related to the development of Centers (e.g., Center for Rural Social Work). The idea was that faculty interested in starting a Center could request to do so without any monetary commitment from the university. So if I wanted to start a Center I could fill out a request to my university and they would grant permission for me to use the name Center for Rural Social Work but not promise me any funding. The idea is that this would put me, a faculty member, in a better position to apply for funding to support the Center because I have the name already attached to it. Then even if the Center fails, the university has not lost any funds and if it succeeds then I could apply for both internal and external funding. What do you think of this idea?

Michelle Alvarez, MSW, EdD, LICSW, C-SSWS
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Interim Director, Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (RASP)
325 Wigley Administration Center
Mankato, MN 56001
Phone (507)389-6652
Fax (507)389-5459

President, School Social Work Association of America (SSWAA)
Editor in Chief, Children & Schools

<image001.jpg>

The mission of the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (RASP) is to promote learning through encouraging and assisting faculty and staff in their pursuit of external funding for research, scholarship, service and creative endeavors.

 "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)

 A link directly to helpful tips:  http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help