RE: [RESADM-L] After Researcher's Conviction on Some Counts, Attorney Chides Universities, Sees 'No Harm' | Health Care Compliance Association (HCCA) - JDSupra laceyrheara@xxxxxx (26 Apr 2022 16:38 EST)

RE: [RESADM-L] After Researcher's Conviction on Some Counts, Attorney Chides Universities, Sees 'No Harm' | Health Care Compliance Association (HCCA) - JDSupra laceyrheara@xxxxxx 26 Apr 2022 16:38 EST

From the article:  "He added that institutions "should be acknowledging
their lack of training that they've provided to their professors on these
issues and own responsibility for failures to disclose.""
---
I certainly agree that it shouldn't fall completely on the shoulders of
these faculty, who are stretched beyond recognition in their
responsibilities, much of which is administrative burden that the federal
government and our institutions create and then don't provide adequate
support for.

It is my opinion that much of the fraud in sponsored research is the result
of a lack of adequate and appropriately trained administrative personnel in
higher ed.  Our profession is understaffed and overworked across this
country, and our workforce is aging out.  Add that to a general lack of
adequate resources and priority toward the continuing education of our
colleagues and the result is what it is.

The federal government and institutions of higher education could invest in
the administrative side of research as aggressively as they invest in
recruiting preeminent faculty.  When audits reveal gross neglect of proper
internal controls, the "consequence" could include a requirement to
reallocate/invest $X million in the administrative growth and development of
the institution through external consultants, recruitment and retention
packages, and travel/training budgets for research administrators.

We could do better to protect taxpayer dollars, our research, our
scientists, and our staff...but not without more resources in the right
places and better, leaner systems across all institutions.

Lacey Rhea
Research Administration Manager and Mentor
(c) 352-235-0756; xxxxxx@gmail.com
LinkedIn:  https://www.linkedin.com/in/lacey-rhea-590518157/
DISCLAIMER:  The views expressed here are my own and not those of my
employer.