bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Donna Berger (01 Mar 2018 11:18 EST)
Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Fonner, Margaret J. (01 Mar 2018 11:29 EST)
Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Holly O'Connor (01 Mar 2018 12:10 EST)
Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Atkinson, Patricia (01 Mar 2018 11:48 EST)
Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Joanne Preston (01 Mar 2018 12:12 EST)
Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Hollis MacArthur (01 Mar 2018 13:04 EST)
Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Charles Hathaway (01 Mar 2018 13:17 EST)
Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Donna Berger (01 Mar 2018 14:22 EST)

Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Donna Berger 01 Mar 2018 14:22 EST
Thank you all so much for your valuable input. Marica asked why the
question is even being raised.  It came up recently when I learned the new
grants position in our Advancement office was planning to submit
foundation proposals (as well as some other non-research proposals) through
Advancement rather than our office.  A couple faculty members were enlisted
to work on a proposal with a three day deadline and I was asked to help
with the budget. I requested that the new grants person ask the faculty
member to fill out the routing forms. I was informed that it was not going
to be submitted through my office. The proposal was not submitted, but
because of the confusion initiatives like this are causing, we have decided
to do a "dog and pony" show to clarify the process and the reasons why it
is so important.  Is our process cumbersome?  Not really, but I suppose it
is more cumbersome than no process at all!

Best, Donna

Donna Berger, Ph.D.
Director, Academic Grants
Marist College
Phone: 845-575-3670

From:	Marcia Landen <xxxxxx@USM.EDU>
To:	xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Date:	03/01/2018 02:02 PM
Subject:	Re: [RESADM-L] bypassing routing approval process for grant
            applications
Sent by:	Research Administration List
            <xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org>

I agree with all this, but I would also want to know why the question is
being raised. Is there something inherent in the routing process that is
cumbersome or inefficient, and can you make it less so? How many sign offs
are required? Does the form ask for unnecessary information at the routing
stage? In essence, what is their REAL complaint? Or is this just something
somebody decided would be a good idea?

If that’s the case, approach your discussion with PIs from their point of
view. PIs really WANT and need those approval signatures prior to proposal
submission to ensure that there is agreement about resources (students,
salary/release time, cost share, space, etc.). There should be no surprises
to anyone when the award comes in. While all the institutional requirements
are important legally, fiscally, administratively, PIs just don’t always
see it that way.

Marcia Landen
Associate Vice President for Research
The University of Southern Mississippi
601.266.4119 (main office)
601.266-4123 (direct)
xxxxxx@USM.edu

Find your way around ORA with our new Assistance Navigator.

cid:image001.jpg@01D1068F.C30E7690
cid:image002.jpg@01D1068F.C30E7690(Embedded image moved to file:
pic25573.jpg)cid:image003.jpg@01D1068F.C30E7690