bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Donna Berger (01 Mar 2018 11:18 EST)
Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Fonner, Margaret J. (01 Mar 2018 11:29 EST)
Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Holly O'Connor (01 Mar 2018 12:10 EST)
Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Atkinson, Patricia (01 Mar 2018 11:48 EST)
Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Joanne Preston (01 Mar 2018 12:12 EST)
Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Hollis MacArthur (01 Mar 2018 13:04 EST)
Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Terri Fayle (01 Mar 2018 14:16 EST)
Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Charles Hathaway (01 Mar 2018 13:17 EST)

Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Terri Fayle 01 Mar 2018 14:16 EST

I don't disagree with any of the items brought up by others, all significant reasons to get your proposal reviewed/approved before it leaves campus.  But in my own experience from another life, there are institutions out there that do not review proposals before submission.  They actually let the faculty prepare and submit (stress relief for research admins I'm sure).  All the review is performed at award time.  The items listed in other emails actually help the PI by getting some important items out of the way earlier rather than later.  Dealing with all the review items at time of award can be very time consuming, and as pointed out not end up favorably.  Although I advocate for it, I'm not sold on the prior review/approval being mandatory.  It is, however, a strong sales pitch to your faculty.  How many faculty want to have their award delayed six months or longer to clean up  their errors?

Terri

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org] On Behalf Of Hollis MacArthur
Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2018 12:04 PM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] bypassing routing approval process for grant applications

Hi Donna,

There are several important legal reasons to get institutional approval prior to submitting any grant:

1. If the faculty submits a grant in their name without institutional approval, they soon find out when the grant is awarded, that they legally can't receive that funding. The grant has to be resubmitted through the institution resulting in delays to the research project or rescinding the award all together.  Many foundations and private sponsors are requiring a letter of institutional approval now to avoid these problems.

2. The institution needs to insure that the PI is using the correct institutional IDC rate, benefit rates, salaries, etc. in order to commit to the project expenses.  Submitting a budget that doesn't adequately reflect the costs of the project and the institution could end up costing the institution/dept money they were planning on using for other expenses.

3. If there's cost share involved, the institution needs to make sure that the contributions are valid and have been approved by Dept/Dean/Chair/Director.

4. If there's IRB issues involved in the research, it's essential that the institution can insure full compliance.

5. Intellectual property - many sponsors, especially corporate sponsors, want to own the intellectual property of the research and the PI is not aware of that at the time of submission.

6. Although there are many other reasons, whatever happens when a grant is awarded, the institution is ultimately liable for it.

Going around this process can create many unforeseen problems down the road, so I would never encourage it.  I could share numerous stories of what happened when PIs tried to circumvent this process and they all ended up badly.

All the best,

Hollis

Hollis MacArthur M.Ed
Research Administrator