bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Donna Berger (01 Mar 2018 11:18 EST)
Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Fonner, Margaret J. (01 Mar 2018 11:29 EST)
Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Holly O'Connor (01 Mar 2018 12:10 EST)
Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Atkinson, Patricia (01 Mar 2018 11:48 EST)
Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Joanne Preston (01 Mar 2018 12:12 EST)
Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Hollis MacArthur (01 Mar 2018 13:04 EST)
Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Charles Hathaway (01 Mar 2018 13:17 EST)

Re: bypassing routing approval process for grant applications Hollis MacArthur 01 Mar 2018 13:04 EST

Hi Donna,

There are several important legal reasons to get institutional approval
prior to submitting any grant:

1. If the faculty submits a grant in their name without institutional
approval, they soon find out when the grant is awarded, that they legally
can't receive that funding. The grant has to be resubmitted through the
institution resulting in delays to the research project or rescinding the
award all together.  Many foundations and private sponsors are requiring a
letter of institutional approval now to avoid these problems.

2. The institution needs to insure that the PI is using the correct
institutional IDC rate, benefit rates, salaries, etc. in order to commit
to the project expenses.  Submitting a budget that doesn't adequately
reflect the costs of the project and the institution could end up costing
the institution/dept money they were planning on using for other expenses.

3. If there's cost share involved, the institution needs to make sure that
the contributions are valid and have been approved by
Dept/Dean/Chair/Director.

4. If there's IRB issues involved in the research, it's essential that the
institution can insure full compliance.

5. Intellectual property - many sponsors, especially corporate sponsors,
want to own the intellectual property of the research and the PI is not
aware of that at the time of submission.

6. Although there are many other reasons, whatever happens when a grant is
awarded, the institution is ultimately liable for it.

Going around this process can create many unforeseen problems down the
road, so I would never encourage it.  I could share numerous stories of
what happened when PIs tried to circumvent this process and they all ended
up badly.

All the best,

Hollis

Hollis MacArthur M.Ed