Proposal Review Comments Lawrence Waxler (19 Jan 2011 08:24 EST)
Re: Proposal Review Comments Vogrig, Cheryl (19 Jan 2011 08:44 EST)
Re: Proposal Review Comments Mike McCallister (19 Jan 2011 08:45 EST)
Re: Proposal Review Comments McMahonM@xxxxxx (19 Jan 2011 08:49 EST)
Re: Proposal Review Comments Colin Cooper (19 Jan 2011 10:46 EST)
Re: Proposal Review Comments Mike McCallister (19 Jan 2011 12:47 EST)
Re: Proposal Review Comments Charles Hathaway (19 Jan 2011 09:03 EST)
NIH Aggregate Data for Federal FY10 Posted Aull, Robert Matthew (19 Jan 2011 11:02 EST)
Re: Proposal Review Comments rdewey@mcdaniel.edu (19 Jan 2011 11:20 EST)
Re: Proposal Review Comments Charles Hathaway (19 Jan 2011 14:34 EST)
Re: Proposal Review Comments rdewey@mcdaniel.edu (19 Jan 2011 16:29 EST)
Re: Proposal Review Comments Theresa Defino (19 Jan 2011 11:22 EST)
Re: Proposal Review Comments Ruth Tallman (19 Jan 2011 10:49 EST)
Re: Proposal Review Comments Wilkinson, Judith A (19 Jan 2011 09:26 EST)
Re: Proposal Review Comments Sharon Smith (19 Jan 2011 10:16 EST)
Re: Proposal Review Comments Margarita M Cardona (19 Jan 2011 12:43 EST)
Re: Proposal Review Comments Lawrence Waxler (19 Jan 2011 12:55 EST)
Re: Proposal Review Comments chowfornow (19 Jan 2011 10:35 EST)
Re: Proposal Review Comments Dennis Brewer (19 Jan 2011 10:34 EST)
Re: Proposal Review Comments Susan E Morris (19 Jan 2011 12:31 EST)
Re: Proposal Review Comments Michael Kusiak (19 Jan 2011 13:47 EST)

Re: Proposal Review Comments rdewey@mcdaniel.edu 19 Jan 2011 11:20 EST

I'm finding this conversation very intriguing. Several weeks ago I posted a note asking a question that actually ties into this one a bit. In that one I said:

"Have you encountered the statement that "pink sheets" (reviews of submitted grant applications) fall under the Sunshine Act of 1976, and therefore all reviewers responses to grant applications should be transparent and available to the public?"

I asked because that is the policy at my new institution, and I didn't think that sounded right to me. At all. And the general response I'm seeing to the question today helps to back up my gut instinct. I was hoping to find someone more familiar with that federal statute, but I didn't get any responses. This group of responses today helps.

Finally I also think the perception is slightly different when you have liberal arts programs versus medical programs. At least, that has been my experience thus far. Research offices are set up differently, and there may in fact be far more involvement in the writing aspect of the programs on the part of the research administrator than at an institution that focuses primarily on science/medical projects. Like everything in this world, I think different institutions will have different shades of gray.

Robin

Robin N Dewey, MS, CRA
Director, Office of Academic and Government Grants
McDaniel College
2 College Hill
Westminster, MD 21157-4390
Voice: 410-386-4699