Re: budget preparation to NSF (regular proposals) McCann, John 27 Oct 1998 16:45 EST

We are very careful to include only actual time devoted to project
participation/administration in budgeted costs to NSF.  Also, NSF is pretty
clear that participating faculty and PIs can only be paid at the rate of
their normal salaries.  Given that, charging NSF for their time while they
are still on salary from the institution would be paying them in excess of
their regular salaries.  I think there's also an ethics case to be made
here.  How does one justify paying someone twice for the same time?  I think
that would (and should) be caught on audit.  To answer your other questions
- we both do grant budgets and review them for faculty, depending on what
the faculty request and on our level of expertise with particular projects.

John McCann, Ph.D.
Academic Grants Program Manager
Office of the Academic Vice President and Provost
The Evergreen State College
Olympia, WA  98505
Phone: 360-866-6000 ext 6045
Fax: 360-866-6823