Re: budget preparation to NSF (regular proposals) Howard M. Kaplan 27 Oct 1998 08:48 EST

 The only circumstances in which we have had any success in getting NSF to
provide some Academic Year buyout funds are (1) under its Research in
Undergraduate Institutions (RUI) Program (where the guidelines explicitly
allow it) or (2) through a Research Opportunities Award (ROA) supplement to
a major research institution's grant.  Otherwise, we have many
circumstances in which we were told either that NSF would not approve the
item or that the reviewers would not look favorably on the request.  In
both such circumstances, we were "assured" that such a request would be
interpreted as a lack of commitment/support on the part of the institution
- i.e., a euphemism for "the proposal's competitiveness would be reduced."
 With respect to budget preparation: we offer to work with the proposal
developer to prepare the budget.  All-too-frequently, when the offer is not
accepted, we spend more time helping the proposal developer revise his/her
budget.

Howie Kaplan

At 07:21 AM 10/27/98 EST, Eleanor Cicinsky wrote:
>In preparing budgets to NSF on regular research proposals, say to the
>science and engineering directorates, is it improper to request AY salary
>support in addition to the 2 months of summer salary?  The faculty member
>would not be on sabbatical or any other type of leave status.  Have any of
>you had requests to prepare budgets so that the departments or colleges get
>some salary relief?
>
>In addition, does your sponsored projects office prepare budgets for faculty?
>Or, does your office review the budgets that have been developed in the
>the faculty departments?
>
>Thank you,
>    Eleanor Cicinsky
>    Temple U