Re: Not Physically Qualified? Susan Hawkins 20 Oct 1998 15:00 EST

It really depends on how badly the technician is needed for the success of
the project, what his disability is and where he will be working. Much of
the work down there is done under very normal working conditions, the chief
problem being the time to get someone out to New Zealand for an emergency
can be a few days if the weather turns bad. If Cofc really wants him to go
and the chances of there being some kind of medical emergency are remote,
they should press ahead. Let the PI talk to the NSF managers. Cofc will not
be making any kind of medical judgement.
However, use of common sense is needed in making the decision to request a
waiver of the rules. Tell them to be careful of saying someone is
absolutely critical or the project is bound to fail. NSF might just cancel
the whole thing.

(Credit for this response comes from a UAH PI who is experienced in NSF
Antarctic expeditions).

Susan Hawkins
Contract Administrator for Subcontracts
University of Alabama in Huntsville
Phone:  256/890-6000 ext. 237
Fax:    256/890-6677

-----Original Message-----
From:   Barbara Gray [SMTP:xxxxxx@COFC.EDU]
Sent:   Tuesday, October 20, 1998 2:15 PM
To:     xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject:        Not Physically Qualified?

Here's a new one for me...and I need help quick!

A technician on an NSF grant is supposed to be leaving for the Antarctic
for field work in a week.  Physicals are required.  He has just been
informed by NSF that ASA (Antarctic Support Associates), NSF's
contractor for logistical support in the Antarctic), has determined the
technician to be "NPQ" (Not Physically Qualified).  However, his doctor
says he is fine to go.

There is a waiver process at NSF but the institution has to sign a
statement supporting the waiver.  That paperwork is on its way to me
now.  A panel of doctors retained by NSF will review the waiver request
and make the final determination.  The instructions with the waiver
package indicate that the NSF physician review may take up to eight
weeks--but the technician's plane leaves in just one!!

The PI is supportive of the technician going; he is definitely not the
type to put another person in jeopardy just to get the research done.  I
have concerns about protecting this individual's privacy--I don't want
his medical information being reviewed by a bunch of us on campus or
anyone else who do not have a definite need to know--and only then with
if he has given his consent.

If anyone out there has any experience with this kind of situation,
please post a short note to the list.  I would like to learn more about
this issue, hear about how you handled the situation, and hear your
opinion about what the institution is exposing itself to by signing the
waiver.  about it.  Please also include your name and telephone
number--I may want to call you for additional input!

As always, thanks!
Barbara

Barbara H. Gray                                     Telephone:  843-953-
5673 (Office)
Director of Research and
 843-953-5885 (Direct)
 Grants Administration                            Fax:  843-953-6577
66 George Street                                    e-mail:  xxxxxx@cofc.edu
College of Charleston
 http://www.cofc.edu/~orga
Charleston, SC  29424                           Campus Location:  407G Bell
Bldg.