[Fwd: IP policy wherein inventor owns rights?] Richard Tomlin 13 Oct 1998 06:24 EST

Re: IP policy wherein inventor owns rights? Richard Tomlin 13 Oct 1998 03:42 EST

> Date:    Fri, 9 Oct 1998 11:51:24 -0400
> From:    "Harrel, Peggy F." <xxxxxx@SMTP.USI.EDU>
> Subject: Intell. Prop. policy request
>
> Help!  I am looking for intellectual property policies that have as
> their
> basic premise that the creator of intellectual property owns the rights
> to the work, except of course when there are prior agreements or
> external
> funding, or other special conditions.  This is pretty much the reverse
> of
> the basic premise of most intellectual property policies.  Does anyone
> have such a policy, whether approved or in the approval process?  Does
> anyone know of an institution that has a policy that is remotely similar
> to such a creature?  Can you point me in a direction where I could find
> such a policy?
>
> I am working with a committee that is redesigning--and probably
> redefining--intellectual property rights on our campus, and the
> committee
> are seeking model policies or parts of policies that they can use to
> substantiate their position.  I know of no better group to ask than
> Resadm-L.  I believe we have the combined expertise to answer any
> question!  I appreciate your help.

Dear Peggy

Yes, I can help you.

Cambridge University in the UK operates a policy based on the
presumption that academic staff have initial ownership of the IP they
create.  Oxford has a somewhat muddled version of the same thing.

However, in German, Sweden and Finland (probably also Norway and
Denmark) academics have a legal right to ownership of their IPRs.  In
Germany this is guaranteed by the Constitution under the
Wissenschaftsfreiheit clause.  Although such a policy may seem odd to
many of us, in large parts of the world people find they can live with
it very well.  I can provide more information and contacts if you would
find it helpful.  I'll be at SRA in Philly on Saturday and Sunday next,
so maybe we could even chat about it if you are there.

If you want to contact colleagues in Europe, the admin-research and
EARMA-all lists are useful.  To join, send a message to
xxxxxx@mailbase.ac.uk with the text 'join <listname> <yourfirstname>
<yourlastname>.

By the way, how do i join your list?  Colleagues on both sides of the
pond may find it useful to have a list of relevant lists so we can
encourage cross membership and an international sharing of experience.
If you can point me at the US lists, I'll do a list of European lists.

Best wishes

Richard Tomlin                       |  tel: (+44)(0)191 222 6820
Centre for Higher Education Research |  fax: (+44)(0)191 222 8170
Joseph Cowen House                   |  e-mail: xxxxxx@ncl.ac.uk
University of Newcastle              |  http://www.ncl.ac.uk/~nrit
Newcastle NE1 7RU, UK