Re: R29 - phased out? Jane A. Youngers 19 Nov 1997 09:35 EST

The phaseout of the R29 is official.  Yesterday, Dr. Varmus was at our place
and he talked about the phaseout and what went into their deliberations.
Said the decision was made just last week.  I suspect it will appear in the
NIH guide fairly soon.

>I just read an article in AAMC STAT (an e-mail distribution) that says that
>applications for the R29 mechanism will not be accepted after June 1, 1998.
>I knew this was coming EVENTUALLY, but I have not see any announcement from
>NIH and no one from NIH mentioned this at the NCURA conference last week.
>Did I just miss it in the NIH Guide?  Anyone hear anything official?
>
>Alison Brown
>Office of Research Administration
>Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
>330 Brookline Avenue
>Boston, MA  02215
>(617) 667-8255
>(617) 667-4774 FAX
>xxxxxx@bidmc.harvard.edu

Jane A. Youngers
Director
Office of Grants Management
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
7703 Floyd Curl Drive
San Antonio TX  78284
voice:  210-567-2333
fax: 210-567-2344