Re: NIH Program Project and Center Grants - Guidelines? Trish Lowney 18 Nov 1997 10:33 EST

You're right, Charlie,,, there are institute specific guidelines.  You
pretty much have to check the individual web sites and dig in. (which have
been in flux for some time now :(  ) The info on in the brown book (or is it
blue book, i forget),,, isn't quite current.

From my paper files:

NINDS (P01, P50) -  NIH guide 26 (1) January 10, 1997
NIDA (P20-P60): NIH guide 25(4) February 16, 1996 (and sites therein)
I don't think alcohol sponsors P01's anymore---  We don't have much strength
in that area, so I don't monitor. No knowledge about >P0X mechanisms for AA

Let me know if you're interested in other institutes.  FYI:  My focus has
been on the P01's.

I'd be happy to chat with you about the areas of scientific expertise here
at Wadsworth (the research labs of the NYS Dept of Health).  Maybe a
collaboration is in the offing?  Please check out our web site at
www.wadsworth.org!

Regards,
Trish

>Hi-
>In the past few months, I have had several investigators request the
>"rules" for the various "P" mechanisms for NIH funding.  These are
>the Program Project and Center grants (e.g. P01, P20, P30, P50, P60)
>which are large, often huge, grants for "broadly based,
>multidisiplinary, often long-term research programs".  While specific
>PAs and RFAs for which these mechanisms are appropriate may include
>considerable description of the types of projects sought and how they
>should be organized, many do not and many questions are left
>unanswered.  Furthermore, some refer to publications which give the
>NIH-wide guidelines for these different mechanisms.  Does anyone know
>how to get these?
>I believe that part of the problem is that each NIH institute has its
>own rules; some have made these available (i.e. NIDA Research
>Center Grant Guidelines).  Others have not (?).  For the investigator
>who wishes to submit, for example, an unsolicited P01 application for
>which there is no clear institute as target (NIAAA?  NIDA? NINDS?),
>the need for written guidelines is clear.
>I would love to have someone out there FAX me all this info or point
>me to a URL or Fed Reg notice....but commiseration will be accepted.
>Thanks.
>Charlie Hathaway
>Charles Hathaway, Ph.D.
>Grants Development