Re: Military Requests for Directory Information Herbert B. Chermside 06 Nov 1997 03:35 EST

Reply below question

At 03:12 PM 11/5/97 -0500, you wrote:
>This is a compliance question (thought there may be other campus concerns
>as well).   The "Military Recruiting" compliance requirement states that we
>must provide access to student directory information.  Does that mean we
>must provide whatever information we are asked for?    Our printed student
>directory only list names, home and campus addresses, and class --not DOB,
>class rank, major, gender or other information that the military may
>request.  My questions is:  can we stay in compliance but provide access
>only that that information that is generally available?  How do
>institutions who actually have DOD funding respond to such requests (as
>opposed to us -- we're just trying to keep our funding options open).
>

>Frances Vinal Farnsworth
>Coordinator of Sponsored Research
>Grants Office - Forest Hall
>Middlebury College
>Middlebury, VT  05753
>
>Tel:  802-443-5889
>Fax:  802-443-2081
>email:  xxxxxx@middlebury.edu

My recommendation is to get your senior executive for student matters --
dean of students, VP for Student Affairs (H-m-m-m-m!) -- to respond to your
question if the records are available.  If the answer is "yes", you're home
free.  If it is not, you have a policy question to raise to the highest
levels, and you are probably the best placed to gove an estimate of the $
penalty to the insititution of not getting $ from that source.

Chuck

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
Virginia Commonwealth University