Proposal Deadline Benchmarking McClure, Christine Lynn (10 Sep 2015 11:22 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Gray, Barbara (10 Sep 2015 12:37 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Wayne R. Glass (11 Sep 2015 08:29 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Hathaway, Charles (11 Sep 2015 14:47 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Wayne R. Glass (11 Sep 2015 16:13 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Lentz, Russell (10 Sep 2015 12:39 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Wayne R. Glass (10 Sep 2015 13:04 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Szabo, Jamie (10 Sep 2015 14:06 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking David Ngo (11 Sep 2015 08:48 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Sheri Ozard (10 Sep 2015 13:53 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking McClure, Christine Lynn (10 Sep 2015 15:53 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Laurie Henry (10 Sep 2015 14:32 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Paffrath, Dennis (10 Sep 2015 16:39 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Kreidler, Kathleen (10 Sep 2015 18:12 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Lynette F. Arias (10 Sep 2015 18:24 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Nordquist, Daniel G (11 Sep 2015 15:12 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Dale Braden (18 Sep 2015 10:35 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Collette Ryder (14 Sep 2015 07:59 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking OBrien, Maryellen (14 Sep 2015 08:48 EST)

Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Lynette F. Arias 10 Sep 2015 18:24 EST

The University of Washington has a deadline policy that is very well supported by senior leadership.  We take every opportunity for outreach and education with the faculty about this to help them understand the need for this.

Policy attached here:
http://www.washington.edu/research/osp/gim/gim19.html

We have a 7 day "should" and a 3 day "must" type of policy.  There is a waiver process in the policy where chairs and deans can request a waiver to the policy.  These are sent directly to me and I work closely with chairs on deans on this.  We have some exceptions built into the policy and we track all requests so we know when trends are happening, where people could use some better organizational skills, etc  :)

Our office submitted 5,671 proposals in FY14 and likely close to 6,000 in FY15, so we really need to adhere to this policy to be able to manage our work.

This all being said, our top goal is always to support the faculty and proposal submissions, so we do all we can to support in all ways possible, but we definitely draw the line sometimes.  There have been cases where we have said no and proposal did not get submitted.  This has happened on more than one occasion since I have been at UW.  These were not escalated above me.

Hope this helps!  :)

Lynette