Proposal Deadline Benchmarking McClure, Christine Lynn (10 Sep 2015 11:22 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Gray, Barbara (10 Sep 2015 12:37 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Wayne R. Glass (11 Sep 2015 08:29 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Hathaway, Charles (11 Sep 2015 14:47 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Wayne R. Glass (11 Sep 2015 16:13 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Lentz, Russell (10 Sep 2015 12:39 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Wayne R. Glass (10 Sep 2015 13:04 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Szabo, Jamie (10 Sep 2015 14:06 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking David Ngo (11 Sep 2015 08:48 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Sheri Ozard (10 Sep 2015 13:53 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking McClure, Christine Lynn (10 Sep 2015 15:53 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Laurie Henry (10 Sep 2015 14:32 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Paffrath, Dennis (10 Sep 2015 16:39 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Kreidler, Kathleen (10 Sep 2015 18:12 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Lynette F. Arias (10 Sep 2015 18:24 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Nordquist, Daniel G (11 Sep 2015 15:12 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Dale Braden (18 Sep 2015 10:35 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Collette Ryder (14 Sep 2015 07:59 EST)
Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking OBrien, Maryellen (14 Sep 2015 08:48 EST)

Re: Proposal Deadline Benchmarking Kreidler, Kathleen 10 Sep 2015 18:12 EST

We just implemented new rules at our institution.   Despite having a 5 day/10 day guideline in place we were receiving 52% of proposals on the sponsor due date leaving us very little time (sometimes 2-3 minutes) to actually review and submit a proposal.  This obviously led to errors and late submissions.

We moved to a 1 day / 3 day deadline. (1 day for less complex R03, R21, R01, etc. and 3 days for higher complexity such as U's, Fed contracts.)  We also allow the PI's to send us the 3 science attachments (abstract, aims, strategy) up to 5 hours before the deadline.  It gives us enough room for error check.

The "teeth":  If the PIs miss our internal deadline then they must obtain written approval from their chairs for Sponsored Research to submit the proposals.  This includes the caveat that we will do our best to submit the late proposal but only after all the others that were received on time are completed.

To ease the faculty into this new practice, the Sponsored Research Office sends out an email reminder 48 business hours prior to the internal deadline This is followed by a late notice with a requirement for chair approval.  There is absolutely additional work required but the departmental staff love the reminders and the results have been quite impressive.  We have decreased from 52% of proposals received on the sponsor deadline to 15% in just 4 months.

I must say that this initiative is working because the department chairs support it and the faculty do not like having to get approval for being late.  We did our homework, presented the data, and highlighted the details and value of a full proposal review.

Hope this helps,
Kathy

Kathleen M. Kreidler
Director, Office of Sponsored Research