FW: No Cost Extension - No Grant Funds Remaining Cara Lenz (29 Jan 2015 14:15 EST)
Re: FW: No Cost Extension - No Grant Funds Remaining Sandra Nordahl (30 Jan 2015 09:42 EST)
Re: No Cost Extension - No Grant Funds Remaining Hathaway, Charles (30 Jan 2015 10:02 EST)
Re: No Cost Extension - No Grant Funds Remaining Dale Braden (30 Jan 2015 12:18 EST)
Re: No Cost Extension - No Grant Funds Remaining Michael Spires (30 Jan 2015 13:40 EST)
Re: No Cost Extension - No Grant Funds Remaining Jennifer Stone (30 Jan 2015 15:45 EST)
Re: No Cost Extension - No Grant Funds Remaining dougm (Doug Mounce) (30 Jan 2015 15:46 EST)
Re: No Cost Extension - No Grant Funds Remaining Hathaway, Charles (30 Jan 2015 19:45 EST)
Re: No Cost Extension - No Grant Funds Remaining Davis Hamilton, Zoya (31 Jan 2015 19:21 EST)
Re: No Cost Extension - No Grant Funds Remaining Gottlieb, Allison (02 Feb 2015 09:12 EST)
Re: No Cost Extension - No Grant Funds Remaining Elizabeth Kingsley (03 Feb 2015 11:47 EST)
Re: No Cost Extension - No Grant Funds Remaining Lawrence Waxler (03 Feb 2015 12:33 EST)
Re: No Cost Extension - No Grant Funds Remaining Elizabeth Kingsley (03 Feb 2015 16:59 EST)

Re: No Cost Extension - No Grant Funds Remaining Hathaway, Charles 30 Jan 2015 19:45 EST
I don't understand this argument or its purpose.  But if the objective is incrimination rather than empathy then it is a tribute to our field that this is a minority opinion.
Charlie Hathaway

________________________________
From: Research Administration List [xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org] on behalf of dougm (Doug Mounce) [xxxxxx@CRAB.ORG]
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2015 3:46 PM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] No Cost Extension - No Grant Funds Remaining

I like to argue that entering an NCE period basically means the original plan has collapsed, and any changes in effort can’t be significant because all bets (i.e., commits) are off.  You naturally didn’t have significant changes prior to the extension or, if you did, you reported them.  The common justification to wrap up the project and present results does not imply another year of full effort.  That would be a significant change to the plan (albeit one that the sponsor approves.)

You might guess this has been a minority opinion in some research admin circles.  You can also report the reduced effort (thereby increasing the admin effort to oversee approval for a significant change).

Doug Mounce, Grants & Contracts Manager