Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Natasha Stark (17 Jan 2014 15:10 EST)
Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Vincelli, Diana (17 Jan 2014 15:51 EST)
Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Michael Gillespie (17 Jan 2014 17:57 EST)
Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Barron, Jennifer (17 Jan 2014 16:45 EST)

Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Barron, Jennifer 17 Jan 2014 16:45 EST

I agree with the person who said small groups of like positions may benefit from sharing space. We have a few offices that have 2 people of the same position in each, and they find it very useful for training and collaboration. Several of our positions have their own office, however, for several reasons: 1. Conference calls or meetings with sponsors, faculty or administrators are loud and distracting, and 2. We often discuss confidential information including salary and COIs. We also frequently have conversations where faculty want to talk about administrators or vice versa (for good or bad), and in order to effectively manage the research enterprise, those conversations are crucial to have. I doubt anyone would want to have them in the middle of a cube farm. Additonally, any supervisor should be required to have their own office so that they can discuss HR issues and not have to schedule a conference room for privacy.

My two cents :)

Thanks,
Jennifer

Jennifer Barron, MBA
Director, Office of Research Administration
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
615 N. Wolfe Street, W1600
Baltimore, MD 21205
p: 410.614.1856
f: 410.955.0258