Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Natasha Stark (17 Jan 2014 15:10 EST)
Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Vincelli, Diana (17 Jan 2014 15:51 EST)
Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Michael Gillespie (17 Jan 2014 17:57 EST)
Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Barron, Jennifer (17 Jan 2014 16:45 EST)

Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Vincelli, Diana 17 Jan 2014 15:51 EST

Natasha,
I think we are all pretty good communicators and agree how important it is.
Within pre-award, we each have our own responsibilities but meet often (in pairs or all 5 of us) to update and discuss; also have a pretty much open door policy between supervisor and the rest of us.
The post award/grants accounting group is in a different building with a different supervisor, but we work with them daily by phone and email. We meet face to face at least once a month - more as needed - which has been very helpful for discussing issues and getting caught up on changes or problems, or upcoming major submissions or awards.
To answer your question,  we do all get together monthly, which is sufficient for us; but we certainly don't need this all-day every-day!
Note that people have different working styles; one may prefer quiet and a closed door; another might like more verbal interaction with a neighbor. We can accommodate both in our present office configuration.  We do have as part of our suite a good-sized conference room with a table that seats 6, chairs for more, a white board, etc.

Best,

Diana Thompson Vincelli
Director of Grant Support
Office of Foundation, Corporate & Government Relations (FCGR)
(mail) 28 Westhampton Way  (location) 104 Puryear Hall
University of Richmond, VA  23173-0001
804.289.8005   fax 804.287.1433   mobile 804.426.6907

-----Original Message-----
From: Natasha Stark [mailto:xxxxxx@GSU.EDU]
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2014 3:10 PM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org; Vincelli, Diana
Cc: Natasha Stark
Subject: Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment

Hi Diana,

As a Director have you found that having your staff in a private office has in any way hindered collaboration among your employees?  One of the arguments being made for proposing this configuration is that it will foster collaboration among the 14 of us who comprise the pre- and post- award staff.  And are there any circumstances or conditions under which you would want to have everyone sitting in the open looking and listening to each other (the space as presently proposed would either have no walls or very low walls that would allow us to both see and hear each other on a continuous basis).

Thanks!

 "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)

 A link directly to helpful tips:  http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help