Reduced IDCs & for-profits Robertson, Beverly (15 Nov 2013 16:10 EST)
Re: Reduced IDCs & for-profits Storey, Charles (15 Nov 2013 16:15 EST)
Re: Reduced IDCs & for-profits Caryn Charter (15 Nov 2013 16:29 EST)
Re: Reduced IDCs & for-profits Lawrence Waxler (18 Nov 2013 08:05 EST)
Re: Reduced IDCs & for-profits Price, Linda L (15 Nov 2013 16:34 EST)

Re: Reduced IDCs & for-profits Lawrence Waxler 18 Nov 2013 08:05 EST

Bev,

I would need to agree with Caryn.

A F&A waiver for a for-profit firm would be viewed as a State tax
dollar supported subsidy, and private use is currently a hot-button
issue here.

Larry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Larry Waxler, Director
Office of Sponsored Programs
University of Southern Maine
1 Chamberlain Avenue
P.O. Box 9300
Portland, ME  04104-9300
Telephone: 207-780-4413
Telefax: 207-780-4927

>>> Caryn Charter <xxxxxx@EMICH.EDU> 11/15/2013 4:29 PM >>>
Hi Beverly,

We have a draft IDC policy that simply states that regardless of
activity type, bids and proposals with private industry must include the
full IDC rate.  Our rationale is that reducing IDC is subsidizing
private research with public dollars. This, along with things, such as
pre-licensing IP, may create Private Use and UBIT issues.

Regards,
Caryn

Caryn Charter, Director (I)
Office of Research Development
Eastern Michigan University
Starkweather Hall, 2nd Floor
Ypsilanti, Michigan 48197
734.487.3090
http://www.ord.emich.edu

On Nov 15, 2013, at 4:10 PM, Robertson, Beverly wrote:

> Hi all –
> I’ve checked several SPO websites looking for anything that
references a regulation that discourages or even prohibits the reduction
of indirect costs for projects funded by for-profits. Short of there
being such a thing, I’d welcome policies/supporting documentation that
makes the case for not permitting reductions.
> Thanks- Bev R.
>
> Beverly Robertson, CRA | Assistant Director for Post-Award | Research
and Sponsored Programs | 134-C Cartwright Hall | Kent State University |
44242-0001 | 330.672.0711 (p) | 330.672.7991 (f) |xxxxxx@kent.edu

link in the upper right corner)

> A link directly to helpful tips: http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help
 "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)