Re: Consultant Fees Gregory K. Schmidt (09 Jun 2012 01:11 EST)
Re: Consultant Fees J. Michael Slocum (09 Jun 2012 07:29 EST)
Re: Consultant Fees Mike McCallister (10 Jun 2012 06:09 EST)
Re: Consultant Fees J. Michael Slocum (10 Jun 2012 06:39 EST)
Re: Consultant Fees Theresa Defino (10 Jun 2012 06:52 EST)
Re: Consultant Fees Maggie Griscavage (11 Jun 2012 15:06 EST)
Re: Consultant Fees Charles Hathaway (11 Jun 2012 21:54 EST)
Re: Consultant Fees grantsresearch@yahoo.com (11 Jun 2012 22:43 EST)

Re: Consultant Fees Gregory K. Schmidt 09 Jun 2012 01:11 EST

First, my time costs when I travel.  Maybe not at full rate, but I charge.  There is an opportunity cost.

Second, you assume that I work 40 hrs a week billable.  Not always the case.

Next, the administration, marketing, networking, email time is taken at night or on weekends, or if there is no billable time during normal working hours.

I have never worked a 40 hour week as a consultant.  Jobs are often capped or fixed price (rate sheets).

Costs of insurance (liability ins. can be a killer), health, auto, memberships,equipment, software, supplies, rents, fed, state, city taxes, licenses, rents, legal and accounting fees.........  everyone has their hands in my pocket.

Profit?  The charge rate is so diluted with hours worked that I'll earn about what I did 15-20 yrs ago when I worked for the state.  That would be south of next to nothing.