NIH Inflationary Increase Jackie Frederick (29 May 2012 10:01 EST)
Re: NIH Inflationary Increase Jennifer Fitchett (29 May 2012 11:14 EST)
Re: NIH Inflationary Increase Bonnie Kwit (29 May 2012 11:15 EST)
Re: NIH Inflationary Increase Rodriguez, Julia (29 May 2012 11:54 EST)
Re: NIH Inflationary Increase Stephens, Fran (29 May 2012 12:33 EST)
Re: NIH Inflationary Increase Anne Schauer (30 May 2012 14:03 EST)
Re: NIH Inflationary Increase Bullock, Glenda (Luecke) (29 May 2012 14:37 EST)
Re: NIH Inflationary Increase Aull, Robert Matthew (29 May 2012 16:08 EST)
Re: NIH Inflationary Increase Diane McKnight (08 Jun 2012 13:19 EST)

Re: NIH Inflationary Increase Diane McKnight 08 Jun 2012 13:19 EST

Hi all,
I'm not sure why NIH made a big deal with the notice about discontinuing funding of the inflationary increase; it seems to me that for over 5 years now they have routinely cut the funding of pretty much every award we have received--from the outset (before the first NoA), then each year thereafter.  We are not a University, but a private, non-profit research institute, so maybe it's different for us...we haven't seen an inflationary increase funded a long time.  Quite the opposite...

That having been said, if NIH wanted grantees to flat-line salaries (for either the salary cap or inflationary escalation) it might be a good idea for them to change their application instructions which recommend using "actual" salaries and following the applicant/grantee's own "institutional policy" for estimating costs in the "out years."  We have received inconsistent instructions from different agencies and from other clients who subcontract to us about how to handle this budgeting issue.  This makes it difficult to establish procedure that will be universally accepted and implemented throughout our institution.

Our Contracts & Grants Department, with concurrence from senior management, has advised those who prepare grant application budgets to continue using actual salaries and nominal (3%) escalations, but to also include various "disclaimers" in the budget narrative that assure compliance with NIH policies.  We understand by doing this (in accordance with NIH instructions, mind you) we may raise a red flag and invite budget cuts.  The fact is, NIH is going to reduce funding anyway, just as they have in the past.

My main concern is that, by implementing these restrictive budgeting policies, NIH is just prompting some folks to find new and creative ways to 'pad' their (otherwise realistic) budgets in anticipation of these cuts.  That makes my job, as the person who reviews budgets for accuracy, allocability, reasonableness, etc., that much more challenging.

Thanks for the opportunity to rant.

Diane McKnight
Director of Contracts & Grants
PIRE