Re: Managing multiple submissions when first is rejected... Charlie Hathaway 15 Dec 2010 09:47 EST

Great question Terry.  Experience will probably dictate policy.

In our S2S case, where we allow PIs and their dept administrators to
SUBMIT after central admin approval, the burden of deciding how to juggle
things is shifted to the departments. This doesn't really answer your
question.  But I think spreading the decisions to many administrators
changes the basic premise of your question, i.e. a swamped and scary SRO
in the peri-deadline period. The capability of the Cayuse system to grant
submission power to the PI (but ONLY AFTER internal approvals are
obtained) is a major time saving feature.

However, in the case of NIH applications where there are no NIH identified
errors (i.e. Validation Complete), and the PI needs to change "something"
prior to the deadline, our process relies on submission of
"Changed/Corrected" applications WITHOUT prior rejection by an SO.  NIH
still seems to suggest that formal rejection is needed...BUT if these are
done before the 48 hour viewing window passes, the new application
automatically replaces the previous (the only exception is if titles are
changed).  Keeping the SO out of these 2nd...nth submissions means that
our central admin involvement really does end with our
financial/compliance approvals for the initial submission.

Charlie Hathaway

> With the NIH error correction going away next month, and many juggling
multiple submissions on deadline days...
> The NCURA eRA committee is wondering how you manage the workload when
your
> first submission gets rejected by Grants.gov or the NIH Commons/other
sponsor system and you have X others still to submit.

> Do you fix the first one or do you go ahead and submit the others and
then
> return to the first one?
> Does your institution have a policy/procedure/guidance on managing
multiple submissions during heavy deadline times? If so, what is it? Is
it left to your discretion?
> Terri
>

> Terri M. Hall, CRA
> Chair, NCURA eRA Committee
> eRA Program Director
> Office of Research
> 940 Grace Hall
> University of Notre Dame
> (574) 631-7378
> xxxxxx@nd.edu<mailto:xxxxxx@nd.edu>
> Find the joy. Be grateful. Intend to have more.

Charles B. Hathaway, Ph.D., Director
Office of Grant Support
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Yeshiva University