Job Opening in Sunny Los Angeles Lazzaro, Joanne 07 Dec 2007 16:45 EST

Dear Colleagues,

Even as I type, the rain (predicted as a torrential downpour, dooming large parts of the Southland to slither off into the Pacific) has fizzled out and the sun is shining into my office. However, I have not exactly been deluged with applications for these openings, and we have been granted one additonal FTE to fill, so the search has been extended.

Yes, I know that research administration bites everywhere, but this is the only place where in Employee Orientation you will be told how we hide celebrities' identities by giving them code names. UCLA has a great retirement plan, USC has a great football team, Caltech has a beautiful campus. We have celebrities.

And I have just received our new negotiated rate agreement, so I have a new top priority for Monday morning. Hope to hear from a few more of you.

Joanne

PS if you are a Grant Officer or Department Administrator with a year or two of experience in an Institution with PeopleSoft, (or are willing to learn it) please be on the lookout for another posting in the next few weeks, or give me a call directly at (310)423-4603.

************************

Date:    October 15, 2007
From:    "Lazzaro, Joanne" <xxxxxx@CSHS.ORG>
Subject: TWO JOB OPENINGS - Entry-Level Grant Officer; Senior Grant & Contract Officer

Dear Colleagues,

Due to recent career transitions, we have two openings at the Burns & Allen Research Institute, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA.

We are a growing institution, with an annual research volume nearing $60,000,000 so this is an excellent opportunity to be part of that expansion. Please review the job descriptions below and refer anyone interested in either position. Appointment level is dependent on experience- Certified Research Administrator is desirable (but not required) for a Senior level appointment.

Applicants are expected to apply online via our website, however please email your resume separately to my attention, as the resumes can come through the system somewhat garbled. If you have any trouble following the links, navigating our HR site, or have additional questions, please contact me directly.

Joanne Lazzaro, Manager, Sponsored Research and Funds Administration
Tel (310)423-4603
Fax (310)423-0493
Email: xxxxxx@cshs.org

Grant and Contract Officer
Burns & Allen Research Institute
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Los Angeles, California

Exempt, Full-Time, Regular (1 position)
Reports to: Manager, Sponsored Research and Funds Administration.
Requisition #1070513

Posted October 15, 2007

The Grant & Contract Officer (GCO), working under the general guidance of a Senior Grant and Contract Officer, is responsible for accurate and comprehensive pre and post award administration of research proposals. As part of a service team, provides guidance to research investigators & staff during proposal preparation & submission and is responsible for initial proposal review. Assists the Senior Officer during award negotiation and postaward management of research projects. Advises investigators regarding sponsor and institutional policies and procedures; acquires knowledge and familiarity with funding agency regulations.  Is familiar with and advises investigators & staff in the areas of proposal budget development, sponsor & institutional costing policies, and postaward contractual requirements.  Assures timely & accurate notification to investigators & sponsors regarding award establishment, just-in-time documents and reporting requirements.  Serves as an information source for the research community; assists in delivering in-service training seminars.. Participates in the development of new procedures, forms, documents and information systems.  Performs other related duties as assigned.

Requirements:
1. BA/BS degree and one year demonstrated ability in the independent administration of research grants and contracts in a central administration office or the equivalent.
2. Current working knowledge of the policies and procedures of sponsors as well as the institutional accounting system (PeopleSoft). Ability to learn new procedures, regulations and computer systems via on-the-job training.
3. Analytical & problem-solving skills; ability to make independent decisions and/or recommend solutions.
4. Customer Service orientation with superior communication skills (both verbal and written).
5. Able to develop, analyze and review project budgets, evaluate proposal compliance with Sponsor instructions.
6. Able to manage a variable workload and meet deadlines, while maintaining a high degree of accuracy and data integrity.
7. Computer proficiency (e.g. MS Word/Excel/Powerpoint; Adobe Professional & others), internet browsers, Grants.gov and NIH eRA Commons) required, as well as familiarity with CSMC systems (e.g. PeopleSoft & others).

For additional information, and to complete an employment application online, please visit our Human Resources web site at: www.cedars-sinai.edu/careers <http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/careers>

Employment Requisition #1070513

SENIOR Grant and Contract Officer
Burns & Allen Research Institute
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Los Angeles, CA

Exempt, Full-Time, Regular (1 position)
Reports to: Manager, Sponsored Research and Funds Administration.
Requisition #1070512

Posted October 15, 2007

The Senior Grant & Contract Officer (SGCO) provides comprehensive pre and post award administration of research proposals and awards. As part of a service team consisting of a Grant Officer, Senior Grant & Contract Officer, and Financial Analyst, guides research investigators & staff during proposal preparation & submission, award/contract negotiation, and postaward management of research projects. Advises investigators regarding sponsor and institutional policies and procedures; provides interpretation of funding agency regulations.  Is familiar with proposal budget development, sponsor & institutional costing policies, and postaward reporting requirements. Negotiates contracts and subcontracts with federal agencies and not-for-profit institutions.  Assures timely notification to investigators & sponsors regarding award compliance, just-in-time procedures and reporting requirements.  Serves as an information source for the research community; conducts in-service training seminars as needed.   May supervise, coach or mentor support staff. Participates significantly in the development of new procedures, forms, documents and information systems.  Performs other related duties as assigned. Familiarity with federal proposal submission process and forms, e.g. Grants.gov, NIH ERA Commons, Federal SF 424, NSF Fastlane, NIH 398 & 2590 forms, and Dept of Defense contracts. Certified Research Administrator (CRA) certification is desirable (but not required) for a senior-level appointment.

Requirements:
1. BA/BS degree and five (5+) years demonstrated ability in the independent administration of research grants and contracts in a central administration office or the equivalent.
2. Current in-depth knowledge of the policies and procedures of federal, not-for-profit and corporate sponsors.
3. Analytical & problem-solving skills; ability to make independent decisions and/or recommend solutions.
4. Customer service orientation with superior communication skills (both verbal and written) and ability to deliver presentations and training seminars to the research community; ability to train and mentor staff.
5. Able to develop, analyze and review complex project budgets, including non-standard rates and bases.
6. Able to manage a variable workload and meet deadlines, while maintaining a high degree of accuracy and data integrity.
7. Demonstrated computer proficiency (e.g. MS Word/Excel/Powerpoint; Adobe Professional & others), internet browsers, Grants.gov and NIH eRA Commons) required, as well as familiarity with CSMC systems (e.g. PeopleSoft & others).

For additional information, and to complete an employment application online, please visit our Human Resources web site at: www.cedars-sinai.edu/careers <http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/careers>

Employment Requisition #1070512

**************************************

Joanne Lazzaro
Manager, Sponsored Research and Funds Administration
Burns & Allen Research Institute
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
6500 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1150
Los Angeles, CA 90048
Office (310) 423-4603
Fax (310) 423-0493
Cell (310) 498-0153
xxxxxx@cshs.org

IMPORTANT WARNING: This message is intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential, the disclosure of which is governed by
applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this information is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately
by calling (310) 423-6428 and destroy the related message.  Thank You for your cooperation.