Re: Research Incentive Plans Jon Hart 15 Nov 2005 09:23 EST

Angela,

We are completely a research university, so all investigators are expected
to apply for and at some point actually get funding assistance.  About 85%
of our funding (but 50% of applications) comes from the NIH.  Since one must
have funding to conduct research, it is a crucial part of their promotion
and tenure process.  However, at Rockefeller we give tenure only to full
Professors, so there is quite a bit of time to prove oneself before getting
to that point.

Other than that, when investigators lose their grants or become too
expensive for the University to carry, they usually must trim personnel.
Every year during the budget request process, each head of lab meets with
the VP Finance and discusses their lab needs for the coming year vs. how
much they have coming in on grants.  Indirect cost recovery plays a role
here.  We provide general purpose funds to each lab head via a lab budget,
and Finance decides how much that will be with guidance from the Office of
the President.
These are pretty powerful motivators.

Hope this helps.

Joni

Jon Hart, M.P.A., C.I.P.
Senior Director
Office of Sponsored Programs Administration
Human Subjects Protections Program
The Rockefeller University
email:  xxxxxx@mail.rockefeller.edu
Tel:  (212) 327-8054; fax:  (212) 327-8400