Re: Off Campus Indirect Cost Rate & PUI's Hahn, Janet M 14 Nov 2005 09:32 EST

Just a note that for PUI's, it is not uncommon for rates to be lower.
Our negotiated on-campus rate is 25.9%; off-campus (almost never used)
is 15%.

Janet
*****
Janet M. Hahn, C.R.A
Exec Dir, Sponsored Programs & Grants Management
Radford University

Radford, VA  24142-6926

tel:  540-831-5479
fax: 540-831-6636
xxxxxx@radford.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Kris Rhodes
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2005 2:42 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Off Campus Indirect Cost Rate

Angela,

The off-campus rate for most organizations is the same
- 26% which correspondence to the OMB Circular A-21
cap on administrative costs.

Even if a significant amount of the work occurs
off-campus, if 50% of the work occurs on campus and
there is no rental costs requested in the proposal, I
would indicate that the on-campus rate is applicable,
but that your institution has agreed to limit indirect
cost recovery to 26%.  Frequently when you see US
Dept. of Ed. language like this, your proposal's
competitives will not seen favorable if you request
more.

If more than 50% of the work will be conducted
off-campus,I would request F&A recovery of 26% and I
would foot note that your current rate only makes
provisions for an on-campus rate and that 26% is being
requested consistent with OMB-A-21's administrative
cap, pending agency approval of the rate.

Good luck!
Kris Rhodes