Re: Faculty Incentives Paplauskas,Leonard 09 Nov 2005 13:50 EST

The UCONN Health Center initiated this sort of incentive program a
couple of years ago.  While we have not conducted a conclusive analysis
of its impact, my empirical observation is that it has not achieved the
goal of increasing the number of grant applications prepared and
submitted.

Leonard P. Paplauskas
Associate Vice President for Research Administration
University of Connecticut Health Center
Farmington, CT   06030-1920
860.679.3173 (voice)
860.679.1371 (fax)
xxxxxx@adp.uchc.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Charlie Hathaway
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 11:33 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Faculty Incentives

This question appears regularly.  And I seem to remember Chuck Chermside
reminding everyone that recovered F&A is really just university funds
that can be used in anyway the university chooses.  So, regardless of
the formulas used, isn't the concept of handing indirect cost dollars
over to
PIs problematic?   Admittedly, I am only slightly more knowledgeable
about
matters of finance than my 8 year old who thinks that the dollar
molecules he deposits in the bank will be the same molecules he
withdraws, but are we sending the wrong message to PIs and the public
when we talk about using indirects as incentive money?

Charlie