Re: Providing Participant Fees to Research Subjects Herbert B. Chermside 02 Nov 2005 10:44 EST

When I worked at a state institution, payment to research subjects by
check had a problem that made it a poor choice for payment at some
times.  The state had a list of individuals who owed the state money,
and it would intercept state check vouchers for those individuals to
apply to the debt.  This upset some subjects who had expected to
actually receive a payment.  As the institution's hospital had a
significant indigent population, research subjects could not be
recruited from this population, unless there were alternative methods
of payment.

Some ingenious methods of payment were created, including "gift
cards" at local merchants.

Chuck

At 09:47 AM 11/2/2005, you wrote:
>I would like to know the process in which other institutions are
>using in order to pay a participant fee to research subjects.
>
>Do you require name, address and social security number? If a
>participant will not give his/her SSN can they participate. Do you
>provide payment at the time of the session or is it mailed to the
>participant? If payment is given at the time of the session do you
>require the individual to sign a statement noting that they received the funds?
>
>Thank you,
>Julie Wyse
>IUP Research Institute
>Project Development Officer
>xxxxxx@iup.edu
>(724) 357-4504
>Stright Hall 107B

Herbert "Chuck" Chermside, CRA
Director Emeritus, VCU Sponsored Programs
Executive Director, Research Administrators Certification Council
1915 Robindale Rd.
Richmond, VA 23235-3931
804-320-5502
xxxxxx@verizon.net