resume Cole, Julie B. 05 Feb 2003 16:59 EST

Julie B. Cole, MA, CRA
Director
IFAS Sponsored Programs
PO Box 110110
McCarty D, Room G022
University of Florida
Gainesville, Florida 32611
352/392-2356
352/392-8479 FAX

-----Original Message-----
From: Herbert B. Chermside [mailto:xxxxxx@VCU.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 12:03 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Hold harmless language

VCU, a state university in Virginia, cannot by instruction from the
Attorney General agree to indemnify and/or hold harmless anyone for any
reason.  Period.  This same thing applies to state U's in at least some
states.

We substitute the following language (feel free to start here writing your
own!):
"To the extent permitted by the Virginia Tort Claims
Act, or, where found liable, to the extent of insurance coverage,
VCU shall be responsible for the negligent acts or omissions of its
officers, employees or agents arising out of its obligations under this
agreement.  Nothing contained herein shall constitute a waiver of the
sovereign immunity of  VCU or the Commonwealth of Virginia.  The
Commonwealth, its agencies, institutions, and employees are covered
by a self insured plan based on a comprehensive general liability
manuscript form as authorized by the Code of Virginia, § 2.1-191.11."

Chuck

At 07:39 AM 2/5/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>For those in the Biomedical arena and also a Public institution a question:
>
>Recently the Ellison Medical Research Foundation distributed to current
>grantees revised language regarding hold harmless and liability.   Our
legal
>counsel has asked that we check other recipients for their willingness to
>accept the new language.
>
>I would deeply appreciate any comments offline on this topic.
>
>Thank you for your time.
>
>Ken Landorf
>Interim Director
>Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
>University of Connecticut Health Center
>Farmington, CT. 06030
>860 679-1990
>xxxxxx@adp.uchc.edu