Re: Clinical trial contracts Debbie Smith 21 Dec 2001 09:59 EST

I very much agree.  Another complicating factor is that they often add
language indicating that the terms of the agreement are confidential--which
would add difficulty to efforts to share language.

We, of course, try to delete any data ownership clauses that say the company
owns them; if that fails, we add a statement that says we retain the right
to use the data and results for our own clinical, academic, and research
purposes and to exercise our rights and fulfill our obligations under the
contract.

As you know, defining the data as theirs, then requiring confidential
treatment of their information may preclude publication of study results
(I'm certain company lawyers are not unaware of this inconsistency in
language.)

We do many clinical trials, and I'm also VERY concerned about the onerous
language we are seeing in them.  CRO agreements are even worse!  I'd be very
happy to participate in a "national discussion" on this topic.

Luckily, there are some companies out there that have a clear respect for
academic institutions and our concerns and that are NOT so difficult to deal
with . . . but we're seeing more and more of the others, too.

Debbie Smith

Deborah (Debbie) L. Smith, Ed.D.
Director, Research Administration
UT Health Science Center