Re: Research Center/Institute Question for Universities(w/o medicalschools) Gregory Schmidt 10 Dec 2001 20:19 EST

Tony:

I've seen centers set up under a college and under a department.  I have
also seen them as multi-disciplinary entities.  It all depends upon the
objectives.  They can be established as a result of a benefactor to pursue
a narrowly defined objective, or to take advantage of funding sources
interested in a particular strength of certain faculty members.  The one
common thread is that they all involved more than one faculty member
performing non teaching activities.

Hope this helps.  I'd love to hear what others have to say on this.

Greg Schmidt