Re: Time and Effort reports Wolterman, Ken (WOLTERK) 06 Dec 2001 08:31 EST

At the University of Cincinnati we do semi-annual effort reporting with
annual certification.  It has never been an audit finding that I know of.
This is handled by our Government Cost Compliance department so if you want
more information contact Peter Aamodt at (513) 556-2628 or
xxxxxx@ucmail.uc.edu.

-----Original Message-----
From: Amy Hibbard [mailto:xxxxxx@KGI.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday: December 05, 2001 8:37 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Time and Effort reports

More Time and Effort reporting questions:

Someone asked a similar question last month, but I don't think there was a
specific response.  NSF's Prospective New Awardee Guide states that time and
effort records must contain "the hours, or percentage of effort, and
employee worked each day during a given pay period" (Section C).  This seems
unnecessarily time consuming and nearly impossible to enforce.  We've
instituted monthly T&E reports, in keeping with DHHS regs, and faculty are
already grumbling.  I suspect they'll mutiny if we push for a more detailed
report.
Is NSF enforcing this reporting requirement?  Has anyone had any trouble
(audit trouble) using other reporting periods?  How detailed are your T&E
reports?

I've seen some of the T&E reports that others have posted, but they are not
nearly as detailed as the NSF regs require.

Answers, suggestions, commiserations?
Thanks,
-Amy

"All power corrupts, but we need the electricity."

Amy Hibbard
Grants Administrator
Keck Graduate Institute of Applied Life Sciences
535 Watson Drive, Claremont, CA 91711
T: (909) 607-9313 / 607-7855
F: (909) 607-8086
xxxxxx@kgi.edu