Multi-Tiered Subawards in Research.gov Everett, Eric (ericeverett@uidaho.edu) (03 Nov 2021 17:14 EST)
RE: Multi-Tiered Subawards in Research.gov Joel Fritzler (03 Nov 2021 17:33 EST)
Re: [RESADM-L] Multi-Tiered Subawards in Research.gov Amanda Johnson (04 Nov 2021 08:14 EST)
RE: Multi-Tiered Subawards in Research.gov Amanda Sidoti (04 Nov 2021 08:50 EST)
Re: Multi-Tiered Subawards in Research.gov Bobbie Ursin (04 Nov 2021 10:51 EST)

Re: Multi-Tiered Subawards in Research.gov Bobbie Ursin 04 Nov 2021 10:51 EST

Eric,

Another benefit of doing a collaborative, linked proposal from multiple entities is that, if an award results, NSF issues separate grants to each entity.  Thus, the time & effort in issuing subaward agreements to each entity is eliminated.  Generally I advise my PIs to go that route, unless they are working with a new collaborator & the parties have not yet developed adequate levels of trust in their capability to fulfill their portion of the proposed work.  If your collaborators are other colleges/universities, then it is much less risky to go this route.

Bobbie Ursin
From: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org <xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org> on behalf of Amanda Sidoti <xxxxxx@neomed.edu>
Sent: Thursday, November 4, 2021 6:50:25 AM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Cc: Office of Sponsored Programs, Pre-Award (xxxxxx@uidaho.edu)
Subject: [RESADM-L] RE: Multi-Tiered Subawards in Research.gov

Good morning, Eric:

I think you are correct and that option is not present for a single proposal. I believe NSF addresses this situation (although not directly) in their PAPPG where they discuss the difference between a collaborative proposal from one organization vs. a collaborative proposal from multiple orgs aka a ‘separately submitted collaborative proposal’.

Based on that guidance and how Research.gov is set up, it would seem NSF either wants one org to lead and administer all subawards as a unified project OR to have multiple organizations develop an “integrated research project” that combines into a single proposal. Under the latter model, the collaborating sites can have subawards themselves. In a way, this approach makes sense because if a subaward site is managing subs themselves there is probably a cohesive ‘mini-project’ that node is working on together.

You might ask your PI if they might consider a collaborative multi-org submission to allow their counterpart who wishes to have a sub the ability to do so if it is appropriate for the project.  Your org can then have multiple subs as you were planning while that organization would a non-lead collaborative submitter and have their own subaward.

Otherwise, I do not think Research.gov (or NSF) allows for that type of set-up with a single org submission.

Best regards,
Amanda

Amanda Lindsay Sidoti, M.D.S., CRA
Director and eRA Manager
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs

Northeast Ohio Medical University
4209 St. Rt. 44 | PO Box 95 | Rootstown, Ohio 44272
v 330.325.6497 | f 330.325.5926 | e xxxxxx@neomed.edu<mailto:xxxxxx@neomed.edu>

Website<http://www.neomed.edu/> | Campus Map<http://www.neomed.edu/map> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/NEOMED> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/NEOMEDedu>