Re: American Cancer Society practice site Gerald N. Goldberger 17 Dec 1999 12:37 EST
Marilyn:

I hope you realize that you've created a real problem by allowing investigators
to submit a proposal directly without Sponsored Research Office (SRO) approval
at the institutional level. We work very hard to train faculty to follow
procedures, but if faculty find that they can go around us they will.. We must
review proposals before they go out for a variety of reasons that John knows
full well. Dealing with the proposal review after the fact (after it has been
sent by the PI)  creates an adversarial relationship with the sponsor and with
the PI if university procedures and guidelines have not been followed by the PI.

Jerry