Re: FastLane glitches Vincelli, Diana 15 Dec 1999 10:42 EST

804/289-8005, fax 804/287-6491
xxxxxx@richmond.edu
www.richmond.edu/~grants

-----Original Message-----
From: Anne Womack [mailto:xxxxxx@WM.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 1999 10:26 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: fastlane glitches

Thanks very much, unfortunately our PI only has Acrobat 3 and
sent us the files in both PS and PDF format over email (and to
think that only two years ago I couldn't even talk like this).
Seriously we may try to persuade all PIs to get '4.  Most FL
proposals go out without a hitch, but this missing letter problem is
a gigantic pain when it happens.  Anne W.

Anne,

We had this problem yesterday! It was a problem with embedded fonts. Our PI
successfully solved the problem by following the Fastlane instructions for
"Downloading the Windows Acrobat Distiller 4.0 'Fastlane' Profile." I've
attached the link here.

http://www.fastlane.nsf.gov/a1/Adobe4WinDwnld/Adobe4WinDwnld.htm

Laurie

Anne Womack wrote:

>   Has anyone had experience with a FastLane problem whereby
> you have uploaded a file from either PDF or PS converted to PDF,
> and the print screen shows a lot of  missing letters in the text?
>   A further wrinkle is that when you look at the file separately
> (Project Description, for instance), it looks fine.  But if you do "Print
> Entire Proposal" and then look at the PD, it is full of missing
> letters, particularly in capital letters, as in headings.
>    If you have had and have overcome this problem, could you share
> some hints??  We would be grateful.
>
> Anne Womack CRA
> Director of Sponsored Programs
> Grants and Research Administration
> P.O. Box 8795
> The College of William & Mary
> Williamsburg, VA 23187-8795
>
> xxxxxx@wm.edu
> (757)221-3967 (phone)
>         -4910 (fax)

Laurie P. Chamness                    Phone:  (843) 953-4973
Assistant Director                        Fax:  (843) 953-6577
Research & Grants Admin          E-mail:  xxxxxx@cofc.edu
College of Charleston
66 George Street
Charleston, SC  29424