Re: Additional IPA Information Greg Thompson 03 Dec 1999 12:57 EST

Be careful what you call taxable...when I was in D.C. on an IPA assignment
it was for a year and was not federally taxable.  I was hit, however, with
a Virginia State income tax because I had an apartment in Roslyn Va.
...so depending upon the location, it may be "taxable" at the state level.
They also wanted to renew me for a 2nd year but I decided against it
because it would then become taxable at the federal level also.

At 11:03 AM 12/3/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Pursuant to a discussion with our Director of Accounts Payable this
>morning, I learned the following that might help in this discussion about
>IPA agreements and reimbursement of certain living expenses.
>
>What I think I heard was the IRS regulation says that income received by a
>person in travel status for one year or less (say 364 days to be safe) for
>standard expenses (lodging, meals and incidentals, transportation??) is not
>taxable.  However, if a person actually "moves" and is reimbursed for
>moving expenses then they may not be considered on "travel status" and the
>whole "caboodle" becomes taxable.  Would anyone more knowledgeable than me
>care to comment on this?
>
>We also discussed the idea that reimbursement of some reasonable amount to
>pay for a roof over someone's head seems fair but that meals, travel to and
>from work, and enhanced cable TV is not.  Reimbursement should be only for
>the absolute bare essentials needed to survive AND which would be
>duplicative of expenses for keeping up a second household.  For example,
>two house payments is a burden.  BUT if you are eating and driving to and
>from work at your new location, you don't have a food or transportation
>expense at your old location.
>
>I am beginning to rethink the idea that there is a benefit to these types
>of IPA arrangements.  (just kidding)

To learn more about Research at Florida State University please visit our
website: http://www.research.fsu.edu/

Greg Thompson
Associate Director
Florida State University