Re: IPA agreements and long term living expenses Johnnie Stokes 03 Dec 1999 11:37 EST

Martha,
At the University of Arkansas, I pay the individual a  "displacement
allowance"  for an equivalent amount under the "Other Direct Costs"
category.  Maybe this will work for you.  Regards,
Johnnie

At 08:41 AM 12/3/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>We sometimes have faculty that take professional improvement leave from the
>university and work for 1-2 years with a federal agency on location under
>an IPA agreement.  These agreements pay salary and fringe and often pay for
>living expenses such as housing, meals and incidentals.  Our state's
>regulations supposedly say that if a person is away from their home base
>for more than six months, then this constitutes a change in home base and
>living expenses (perdiem etc) are no longer allowable.  I tried to suggest
>that they should be allowable for alot of reasons - sponsor thinks they
>should be covered, a person can't sell their home just for a six-12 month
>travel period, the burden of maintaining two households without extra
>compensation of some sort is too high, opportunities to engage in these
>activities are lost becasue of the "rule" etc etc etc.....  BUT allowable
>or not, they are probably taxable.
>
>I need mega help from other state universities who have successfully
>navigated this swamp.  I would like info on how to make it work for
>everyone and am not opposed to "borrowing"  from policies if allowed to do
>so.  Thanks in advance for any good news or warnings about these kinds of
>arrangements that you can give.
>
>Merry Christmas.

John K. Stokes                                 Voice:      501-575-3845
Director                                            Fax:         501-575-3846
Research and Sponsored Programs
 and Technology Licensing
120 Ozark Hall
University of Arkansas