(no subject) Greg Schmidt 03 Dec 1999 08:37 EST

Valerie:

This is a problem I've fought for several years.  Some say that if you have
a contract document, you should treat it as a subcontract.  Others say if
it's to a company, it's a contract.  Some tag a dollar amount as the
criteria.

The only valid definition I've found is if part of the work for which you
have been given an award is being performed by a non-employee or
organization regardless of value, it's a sub.

We had an award with the Air Force to do airfoil design studies (wings).  We
designed the wings, but had a contract with an aircraft manufacturer to
build the wing from our design and do wind tunnel tests.  We wrote a
contract, and coded it as services.  They were supporting us, not doing the
statement of work.

We have another contract with the state to gather and disseminate
architectural information concerning energy and environmental issues in
housing design.  An Other Personal (peasant) Services contract was issued to
an individual for a few thousand dollars to create, maintain and publicize a
web page containing information, and solicit submissions from other
architects.  That was coded as a sub.  This person was doing part of the
statement of work.

It's all in the wording.

Greg Schmidt