Re: Merging Pre-Award and Post-Award Offices Rusty Okoniewski 30 Nov 1999 09:34 EST

 We at UF/IFAS (University of Florida - College of Agriculture and Life
Sciences) merged Pre-, Post-Award functions about a year ago., Within the
past 4 mnonths we added Contract and Grant Accounting.
 The verdict is still out, but generally internal staff and faculty seem to
be happy.  Slowly we are taking a project/PI centered approach to management
rather than a functionally divided approach.  We know it will take time, but
we are expecting positive results.
 Many of the Pre- and Post-Award staff have expressed the opinion that they
would not want to go back to the old way of handling things.  We now operate
in a "cradle to grave" context.  Eventually, we will incorporate the
accounting function in that same context.  (But just having accounting in
the same suite of offices with the former Pre- and Post-Award people has
helped tremendously.  I will try to keep you informed of our progress as
time passes.  Feel free to E-mail me for further discussion.
Sincerely,
Rusty Okoniewski, Interim Director
IFAS Sponsored Programs
University of Florida