Re: Pro-Cards or Credit Cards for grant supplies Rusty Okoniewski 24 Nov 1999 10:15 EST

David,
 You really need to have a true "Purchasing Card" rather than a "Credit
Card."  A purchasing card arrangement can usually be negotiated with your
bank or credit card company.  A "purchasing card", (unlike a credit card)
can be  posted to your account and must be certified for payment in a very
short time.  Ours usually "hits" within 48 hours of the actual purchase.
You are very much aware of outstanding purchases...because they appear on
your computer screen every morning from the day before.  They work very much
like a debit card which you may have as a function of your checking account.
Because of this, they work very well on contract and grant project accounts.
 You can have a separate card for each account if you so desire. (or you
can have one card and distribute the charges internally, if you so choose).
 They are "underwritten" by a large credit corporation, so they will have a
logo (like VISA or MasterCard) on them and can be used at any merchant which
accepts the charge card from that credit corporation. You need to have your
university negotiate for this type of card.

 We at the University of Florida have been using them for some time now and
in fact, are doing away with LPO's (limited purchase orders) as of 1 Jan
2000.
 Hope this helps!
Rusty Okoniewski, Interim Director
IFAS Sponsored Programs