Re: F&A rate John D. Pepe 23 Nov 1999 17:39 EST

Since the costs on your portion of the subgrant will be expended during the
period in which revised F&A rates are effective, I would think rebudgeting
within the appropriate categories as long as the total subaward amount does
not change would be acceptable to the prime.  The total dollars provided by
the sponsor will remain unchanged.  Also, the direction of the rebudgeting
usually will illicit a PI smile.

John D. Pepe
Controller
Stroud Water Research Center
970 Spencer Road
Avondale, PA 19311-9514

Voice: (610) 268-2153, ext. 253 Fax: (610) 268-0490 E-mail:
xxxxxx@stroudcenter.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org]On Behalf
Of Vincelli, Diana
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 1999 4:14 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: F&A rate

To the great Collective Expertise:
Suppose we are the subcontractor for an NSF award.  The application was led
by another institution, and our co-PI supplied a budget and rationale for
his portion of the project.  The award has been made, and the subcontract
has the original budget attached, using an indirect cost rate/F&A rate that
has since expired.  Our new rate is lower.  What do we need to do with the
subcontract?  Sign it even tho the budget has the old F&A rate? (our Finance
office is hesitant)  Revise the budget?  Move the excess (amounts to about
$400/year for 4 years) to another line?  Do I need to make a call to NSF or
is this the business of the prime awardee?
thanks,
Diana

Diana Thompson Vincelli
Associate Director