Re: F&A rate Herbert B. Chermside 23 Nov 1999 16:37 EST

Ultimately, it is the prime awardee's problem to resolve, but you might
give them a helpful hint that benefits your PI.  Their budget  has $X in it
for your sub.  Though it was budgeted based on $Y direct and $Z F&A, you
can offer your prime a new budget where X=y'+z'.  As your F&A is now lower,
your PI gets more direct to do the job, something she would probably
appreciate.  Maybe you have to get your prime's approval and maybe you
merely spend in accordance with your new budget; that depends on the
precise language of the subaward document they sent you.

Good Hunting!

Chuck

At 04:14 PM 11/23/99 -0500, you wrote:
>To the great Collective Expertise:
>Suppose we are the subcontractor for an NSF award.  The application was led
>by another institution, and our co-PI supplied a budget and rationale for
>his portion of the project.  The award has been made, and the subcontract
>has the original budget attached, using an indirect cost rate/F&A rate that
>has since expired.  Our new rate is lower.  What do we need to do with the
>subcontract?  Sign it even tho the budget has the old F&A rate? (our Finance
>office is hesitant)  Revise the budget?  Move the excess (amounts to about
>$400/year for 4 years) to another line?  Do I need to make a call to NSF or
>is this the business of the prime awardee?
>thanks,
>Diana
>
>Diana Thompson Vincelli
>Associate Director