Re: Pro-Cards or Credit Cards for grant supplies Claire L. Carlson 23 Nov 1999 15:06 EST

We have a Pro-card program.  A grant account cannot be the default account,
but PIs can make purchases for grants using the card and then cost transfer
them to the grant account.  So far it has worked fairly well.  The main
problem is making sure people are aware of their responsibilities
concerning charging costs appropriately and keeping adequate documentation
in a retrievable fashion.  Audits of the use of the cards are conducted by
the Business Services Office to be sure users are following the proper
procedures and meeting their responsibilities.

Claire L. Carlson
Associate Vice President for Research
The University of Montana

At 02:27 PM 11/23/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Are there any institutions allowing PIs to use Pro-Cards or Credit
>Cards to charge grant purchases, specifically supplies.  We'd like
>to hear comments (both pro and con) regarding this practice, if
>anyone is using it.  UConn uses the cards for departmental
>operating purchases, and we would like to extend it to
>grants, so we are considering a small pilot program to check out
>how well it works for grant supply purchases.  We need to know
>this info by Monday, if at all possible.  Thanks.
>Sandy Schulte
>Asst Vice Provost for Research Administration
>University of Connecticut
>Tel: 860-486-0985; FAX 860-486-5381

Claire L. Carlson
Associate Vice President for Research