Re: Personal membership costs charged to contract/grants Morgan, Jennifer 18 Nov 1999 17:47 EST

Rusty-
At my institution (University of Pittsburgh) they are not allowed at all.
As a former institutional official, I will say that I would be very
disinclined to sign off on a budget that had them on there.  It screams COME
AUDIT ME!

I would be interested in a specific example of how a person's membership
dues would directly relate to the scope of work of a project rather than the
person's general development and academic responsibilities.  The only thing
I could come up with would be if a person wanted to present data from the
project at a scientific meeting that only allowed members to present.  Even
then, I would have trouble unless the sponsor had approved in such a way
that it doesn't look as if it just slipped through the cracks.

NIH has said that they do not consider something being on a budget as tacit
approval to bill as direct things that are normally treated as indirect.
The responsibility to monitor lies with us... as well as the liability for
violations.
-Jennifer

Can anyone else think of what might be considered an exception?

Jennifer Morgan, M.H.A.
Director, Office of Grants and Contracts
Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Health Systems
3811 O'Hara Street, Pittsburgh PA  15213