More on EDI and NSF BOB 05 Nov 1999 11:19 EST

(Pamela  Thanks much for helping MIT with this listsev. )

For all interested in NSF EDI sitution

I just received a message from the person working on this at UMass,
Amherst.
--------------
>Just to let you know, NSF has responded to our initial EDI submission with
> at least a confirmation that they will look at it.  This was the first
> contact I have had in several months.
---------------
The submission made by UMass was late September.

This is the full text of the NSF reply  to UMass
-------------
>I shall use your file on our system and provide a feed back of the results.
--------------
(stepping up on soapbox)
If any members  of the listserv interested in this sort of thing
are attending the NCURA meeting next week, why not ask any NSF reps
what their plans are for allowing EDI transmission into FastLane.  Or,
more generally, what will be done to cut down on the double enty of
information.  PI's or their staff ( or the grants office staff) enter data
into
 FastLane and then again into the local grants data management system.

The value of an EDI based system, either a local system or a commercial
system such as GAMS, is that users can enter data just once and they
are are used for dual purposes--sent to sponsor and populate
campus database.

The more technical minded can raise the very useful points presented
by Steve.  And even the issue of attaching the scanned cover pages.
(now off soapbox)

Hope to see many of you at NCURA

Bob

Robert Beattie
Manager of Electronic Research Administration and
 Senior Project Representative
The University of Michigan
xxxxxx@umich.edu

--On Fri, Nov 5, 1999 7:26 AM -0600 Pamela Webb <xxxxxx@NWU.EDU> wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> Steve Dowdy asked me to send his response, as he is having trouble posting
> to the listserv.  Please see below.
>
> -- Pamela
>

>> Without going into a extremely long explanation.... currently MIT is able
>> to generate an EDI transaction set from our Coeus system.  MIT programmed
>> for the latest release of the transaction set -- the one that is Y2K
>> compliant :)    Unfortunately, none of the federal agencies are able to
>> accept this version (version 4010) of the transaction set.

snip good text from MIT