MIT response to: Peoplesoft GRANTS EDI capability Pamela Webb 05 Nov 1999 08:26 EST

Hi All!

Steve Dowdy asked me to send his response, as he is having trouble posting
to the listserv.  Please see below.

-- Pamela

>Without going into a extremely long explanation.... currently MIT is able
>to generate an EDI transaction set from our Coeus system.  MIT programmed
>for the latest release of the transaction set -- the one that is Y2K
>compliant :)    Unfortunately, none of the federal agencies are able to
>accept this version (version 4010) of the transaction set.  Some are at
>version 3050 and some are at version 3060.
>
>Everyone should be working at getting to version 4020.  Yes... version
>4020.  See, the 194 transaction set only transmits the shell of the
>proposal.  We will use the 102 transaction set to send the text portion
>(like the pdf file for Fastlane).  The problem.... the 102 came out in
>version 4011.  The federal government will not take interim releases of a
>transaction set but can only take annual releases (those that end in a
>zero).  So... inside of a single transaction set, you cannot mix the
>version numbers within the same envelop (GS segment for those of you that
>are beginning to speak EDI).  So, the firrst version of the 102 that the
>feds will be able to handle will be 4020.  And since the two must be in
>sync, the 194 will need to be migrated to version 4020.  LMI is working on
>the paperwork and at the last ECC committee meeting, NSF has indicated that
>they will be working over the next few months to get things in place.  NIH
>is working hard too.  But for the time being.... MIT can create.... no one
>can accept.

Pamela A. Webb, Director
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
Chicago Campus
Northwestern University
Phone:  (312) 503-7955
Fax:      (312) 503-2234