Re: Electronic Forms & Printer Drivers Kumar Mukesh 03 Nov 1999 13:41 EST
In addition to using Ghostscript, you can also use Adobe Acrobat (not the
Acrobat Reader, but the full version of Acrobat).  Using Adobe Distiller,
which comes with Acrobat you can covert your file to a pdf document and
then print.  Your output will be printer independent.

"Caskey, William PhD." wrote:

> As many of you have probably discovered, forms printed formatted for one
> printer don't necessarily print on another (hence the attraction for PDF
> files). As a result of our print server going down 3 days before the 11/1
> NIH deadline and IS bringing it back up with different printer drivers that
> caused all of my forms to no longer print correctly, I have discovered a
> work around. Ghostscript and GSView are two programs that effectively
> receive input from a Postscript file and filter it to print on whatever
> printer you have connected (works with Windows or Linux; actually
> Ghostscript IS the printer driver for Linux; IS had originally installed a
> Postscript driver for our HP LaserJet and replaced it with a PCL driver).
> The Ghostscript output is identical for all printers. There is an additional
> program that allows redirection of output so that the Ghostscript program
> acts like a printer connected to a port. Ghostscript, GSView, and the
> redirector are available for free download from Ghostscript Home Page noted
> below. Linux users should already have Ghostview...Bill
>
> Ghostscript Home Page
> http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/ <http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/>
>
> Bill Caskey, PhD
> Director, Research & Grants Administration
> Children's Mercy Hospital
> 2401 Gillham Road
> Kansas City, MO  64108
>
> Voice:(816) 234-3879
> FAX:(816) 855-1982
> E-mail:  xxxxxx@cmh.edu <mailto:xxxxxx@cmh.edu>
>
> This communication is intended only for the use of the addressee.  It may
> contain information which is privileged or confidential under applicable
> law.  If you are not the intended recipient or the agent of the recipient,
> you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copy or disclosure of this
> communication in error, please immediately notify The Children's Mercy
> Hospital at 816-234-3879 or via return Internet electronic mail at
> xxxxxx@cmh.edu <mailto:xxxxxx@cmh.edu>  and expunge this communication
> without making any copies.  Thank you for your cooperation.

Kumar Mukesh
Product Manager, Grants Proposal System
Public Sector Applications

Oracle Corporation