Re: IRB Honorarium Kim Moreland 01 Nov 1999 14:17 EST

We don't compensate the committee on this campus, but we do compensate the faculty chair, who contributes significant amounts of time.  Because of the difficulty of paying a full-time faculty member except in the summer, when he's covered already by grants, we decided on an indirect method.   We pay for a 50% time graduate research assistant for him for the academic year.  It amounts to $12,000 - $15,000 per year.

Kim

Kim Moreland, Director
Contract Negotiations and Research Compliance
The University of Kansas
Center for Research, Inc.
2385 Irving Hill Road
Lawrence, KS  66044-7552
Phone:  785/864-7431
Fax:  785/864-5049

>>> xxxxxx@IIT.EDU 11/01/99 10:36AM >>>
Amy,

I'm not an IRB person, but is this ethical?

Domenica

At 09:21 AM 11/01/1999 -0600, Amy Tang wrote:
>Good morning everyone!
>
>I have an IRB question to start the week off.
>
>Our institute is considering providing non-institute affiliated IRB members
>with an honorarium.  However, we aren't certain what would be an
>appropriate amount.  I would appreciate hearing from anyone who have any
>suggestions or would be willing to share how their institute handles this
>matter.
>
>You can either reply to me directly at: <xxxxxx@ih.org> or to the list.
>
>Thanks in  advance,
>
>Amy

>Amy Tang
>Hughes Institute
>2665 Long Lake Road, Suite #300
>Roseville, MN  55113
>Phone: 651-697-9228
>Email: xxxxxx@ih.org

Domenica G. Pappas                              Phone 312-567-3035
Assistant Director                              Fax 312-567-6980
Office of Sponsored Research            xxxxxx@iit.edu
Illinois Institute of Technology                            www.iit.edu
3300 S. Federal Street,  MB Rm 301
Chicago, IL 60616-3793