Re: Expanded Authority Hawk, Pat 20 Oct 1999 17:02 EST

"Expanded authority" comes from OMB Circular A-110 when they gave colleges
and universities "expanded authorities" to do such things as rebudgeting,
carrying over unexpended funds from one budget period to another, one-time
no-cost extensions, etc. Prior to the revisions done to A-110 in 1993,
universities had to get prior approval from sponsoring agencies to do these
things.  You'll see that phrase used in NIH awards where they'll say "this
grant is included under Expanded Authorities" ("regular" R01 grants) which
means you can do all of these things, or it could say "this grant is
excluded under Expanded Authorities" (F32 NRSA grants) which means you can't
do all of those things.

-----------------------------
Pat Hawk
Sponsored Projects Administrator
University of Oregon
5219 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR  97403-5219
tel:  541/346-2504
fax: 541/346-5138
e-mail:  xxxxxx@orsa.uoregon.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Lisa Thompson [mailto:xxxxxx@UTULSA.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 1999 2:18 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Expanded Authority

Can someone tell me where to look for the specific government language
addressing "Expanded Authority"?  I've scanned SRA, and NCURA without any
luck.  I need to make reference to it in a procedure and would like to use
some of their words.  Thanks ahead of time for your help.
HAPPY TRAILS!!!

Lisa L. Thompson
Assistant Director of Research
Office of Research
The University of Tulsa
Tulsa, OK  74104-3189

phone:  (918)631-2716
fax:    (918)631-2073
e-mail: xxxxxx@utulsa.edu

None of us can do great things without help, but we can all do a small
thing with great love.  "Mother Teresa"