Reply: Faculty Overload on Grants Stephen Erickson 06 Oct 1999 19:51 EST

Section J.8.d.1 of A-21 sets the rule for faculty compensation. The
only time you can provide extra compensation to faculty is if (and it
must be an UNUSUAL case) the work is across departmental lines or
involves work at a remote location AND the work is in addition to the
person's normal workload AND the extra compensatrion is clearly
specified in the award or is specifically approved in writing by the
agency.  We consistently argue that we do not pay our faculty on a
labor-hour basis, that we pay by percentage of effort or
person-months.....turning around and arguing that somehow we can
determine that a person deserves overtime compensation flies right in
the face of the arguments we always make against labor-hour accounting.

Steve Erickson

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999 08:26:15 EDT Brian Anderson
<xxxxxx@emich.edu> wrote:

> Are there any circumstances where overload pay for faculty would be
> allowed on a federal grant?  Is there any distinction between overload
> pay and intra-universtity consulting?
>
> Thanks - I need an answer fast.
>
> Brian Anderson
> Eastern Michigan University

Stephen Erickson
Director, Office of Research Administration
Boston College
Telephone: 617-552-3344
Local fax: 2-0747
Fax from Off-Campus: 413-895-8328